FAQ - NORTHERN AIR®
- HVLS is an abbreviation of High Volume Low Speed. An HVLS fan is a mechanical fan typically with a diameter greater than 1,5 meters that moves large volumes of air at a very low rotational speed – unlike its smaller residential counterpart that most people are familiar with.
- Originally invented to address the needs of the dairy farming industry. When dairy cows experience heat stress, they become sluggish and their milk production goes down. HVLS fans provided an energy-efficient way to keep dairy cows comfortable. And, just like humans, farm animals that are breathing poor air quality develop health and performance issues.
- Whereas high wind velocity indoors is both unpleasant and inefficient, the NORDICCO® HVLS fans move air slowly, consistently and evenly throughout any facility, creating a comfortable breeze without the typical associated draft.
- Smaller high-speed fans produce a high velocity jet of air that is turbulent and quicker to dissipate, whereas the large column of air distributed by a NORDICCO® HVLS fan travels further than that of any high speed fan.
- We tend to think of air as being weightless. In reality, air takes up a great deal of volume in any given facility. Therefore, far less power is required to keep air mass moving than to start that volume moving in the first place.
All the NORDICCO® HVLS fans designed, developed and manufactured in Denmark, Europe. They are specifically designed to address the European customers increasing demands for climate-friendly and effective solutions with the lowest possible carbon content.
The NORDICCO® HVLS fans come in sizes ranging from 2 to 5 meters in diameter. The largest of these covers an area up to 1000 m2.
Our NORDICCO® HVLS fans are installed in offices and libraries across Scandinavia where silent operation is absolutely critical. Only when accelerated to very high RPM’s will you hear the sound of fast moving air.
We provide three different control options. An easy-to-use wall-mounted and hard-wired controller from where you have 10 different speed setting and is able to control the direction of the fan, a wireless Bluetooth Tablet App that allows you to control up to 20 NORDICCO® HVLS fans and individual calendars for each of these, as well as our all-encompassing NORDICCO® Fan Management System. The cloud-based Fan Management System you can access anywhere from any internet connected device. For more information regarding our controls, please refer to the ‘Controls and Monitoring’ section of our website.
Yes, of course! You can daisy-chain several same size fans together using our hard-wired controller, , manage up to 20 different sized fans wirelessly with our NORDICCO® Tablet App, or have a complete overview of as many fans as you’d like with our cloud-based NORDICCO® Fan Management System.
It’ll work perfectly!
In facilities where there is an existing mechanical cooling and heating (HVAC) system in place, the NORDICCO® HVLS fans work perfectly in tandem with these and help significantly reduce the energy load on those systems.
In addition to enhancing existing HVAC and natural ventilation systems, the NORDICCO® HVLS fans improve indoor air quality and overall ventilation removing the buildup of carbon dioxide, foul odors and smelly fumes. The NORDICCO® HVLS fans mix and move that air to prevent stagnation, eliminate condensation buildup and maintain an even room temperature without creating a draft.
The total hanging weight of the heaviest NORDICCO® HVLS fan is only 41 kg and can consequently be installed in virtually all types of ceilings. Having said that, please be aware that the fans cannot be mounted directly in light suspended ceilings such as a suspended gypsum board ceiling. In these situations, an installation will require the ceiling fan to be attached to the load-bearing construction above the suspended ceiling.
It takes from a few hours to half a day’s labor to add a complete fitted and ready for use NORDICCO® HVLS fan to your building. It largely depends on the installation complexity and whether you have chosen wireless or hard-wired controls.